Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Game Time!

Soooo, who's watching the Super Bowl? Me? Not so much, though it's definitely on a couple of TVs over here. Every year SuperKid and SportsBoy like to invite their grandparents over for a little tailgating before the game. My parents live 90 minutes away, so by half-time the party's over. We did have a good time again this year, though.

While I can hardly call myself a cook, and therefore this is not even close to a cooking blog - I am good at following recipes. SportsBoy, who is in charge of our menu each year, decided on brats and sliders for the "entree," I picked up some macaroni salad and potato salad from the grocery store and I made these delicious treats for the appetizers. Holy smokes were they amazing! I made about 40 (SuperKid wouldn't eat them, so there were only 7 of us who I figured would actually "nibble" at them) but they got DEVOURED before I could get them to the table. SportsBoy was begging me to make another batch - and let me tell you I was so tempted. I swear we're having them for dinner tomorrow night. By the way, definitely roll them in the brown sugar. So. Darn. Good.

We had a rousing game of The Cheese Touch Game before the Super Bowl began. Anyone have this game? Let me tell you, I have a love-hate relationship with The Wimpy Kid. Not even close to literature. BUT both my boys got turned on to reading with these books. SportsBoy has moved on - he's too old for the series but he couldn't help himself - he did have to read the latest one in the series when it came out. SuperKid, too, thinks these books are hilarious. Anyway, regardless of what you think of the books, this game is genius for a kid on the spectrum. Most of the questions require you to think about what someone else's experiences - not your own. It's hard for kids on the spectrum to think from other people's perspectives - so I like this practice! Also, there's a "do it like this" category where you have to act out different motions according to the adverb on the card (ex:  the word is "clumsily" so the player says to the player next to him, "walk like this" and the player acts it out. Then he might say to the following player , "eat like this," "sing like this," etc. Tricky - but I've been impressed with SuperKid's ability to act them out! This is a great game for this stage in SuperKid's development! Love it!

Well, I'm a couple of days late posting this, though I started it on Super Bowl Sunday. I'll post now and in a laster post talk about a few more of our favorite things. Do you have any family favorites that you want to share? I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment