Thursday, January 6, 2011

First Piano Lesson

Slowly, but surely, we are getting into our rhythms. No more complaining about "school," though there are a few comments here and there that let me know SuperKid has not yet forgotten about his precious time to himself. Questions about spring break, for example . . . :-)

Today SuperKid had his first piano lesson. Mr. Wonderful is quite musical and plays a bajillion instruments - all well. I played violin and piano in high school, but did not miss them too much when my lessons stopped. I was told I had some talent, but I'm not sure that was true. And I never really loved music. Even today I am not a person to turn on the radio or my iPod when there is quiet time (ahh, quiet time!).

Anyway, today SuperKid had his first music lesson, and as I said before, it happened to be on the piano. Let me just say that he did a great job. His teacher is aggressive - not in a behavioral way, but in a way that is meant to ensure the 10-year-old beginners catch up with the other 10-year-olds, and soon! Let me also say that, based on the 45 minutes I observed today, apparently playing the piano is a lot harder than I remember it being. But SuperKid had a smile on his face the whole time and when we got home he asked if he could practice. The answer was "No" because SportsBoy had to be taken to his tennis lesson - how's that for a sneak peek at our family's priorities?

We are, if lables must be applied, a "sports family." And for SuperKid, who keeps reminding us he doesn't like sports, that's a bit of a bummer. Mr. Wonderful would like us to be more of a "music family" so maybe SK will be able to help move that agenda along. But as long as Mr. W is travelling and not managing the homelife, sports will more likely be at the forefront since I share that love and understanding.

OK - I need to go. Time for my body sculpting class, during which we "pump (light) iron" to popular music which I've never heard before. How's that for a compromise? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment