Sunday, January 16, 2011

Smells Like . . .

Well, I know there aren't a ton of readers here, yet - and I'm actually surprised there have been as many as my little stats tab says (I just figured out that was there, by the way - very cool!). Just wondering if any of you readers happen to have a child on the spectrum. 'Cause I have a question:

Can your child smell?

Maybe this is crazy, but I don't think SuperKid can smell. I have never in his entire life heard him say, "That smells good," "That smells bad," "What is that smell?", "Are you baking cookies/making dinner/burning something?" Nothing.

Last night, since Mr. Wonderful was with SportsBoy at the tennis tournament in a land far away :-) SuperKid snuggled with me in bed. He likes to get under the covers, and when I stuck my head under there to see if he was still breathing (yes, I'm a paranoid mom), well . . .  let's just say the smell was not good under there. But SuperKid didn't seem to mind.

I've thought about this before, but haven't really pursued it.  Actually, I'm not really sure what to do in order to pursue it. I first thought of this years ago as we were filling out the paperwork before taking SK to see Judith Bluestone (who, by the way, truly was the Autism Whisperer), and one of the questions was something like "Does your child seem to have a sense of smell?" I know I checked no, but let's be honest here, there were way bigger issues to address at that point. And while we're being honest, there are still bigger issues to address. Still, every now and then, it hits me like a ton of bricks. "Darn it! I forgot - SuperKid can't smell. Now what am I supposed to do?"

So I figured I'd ask while I had an audience. Can your child smell? And whether he or she can or can't, do you have any thoughts on this? I could really use some help on this one. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment